If we talk about type 1 diabetes patients, their most significant issue is hyperglycemia. In this article, we will talk about that how you can care for your elderly patient with diabetes type 1, or if you are a patient and healthy enough that you can take care of yourself having diabetes.
As we know that with new technology, you can cover your diabetes easily for example new drugs with fewer side effects, new techniques with less cost, and new devices with less difficulty.
First, we will talk about caring for your body organs which are mainly affected by your diabetes, and after medication which organs need care.
Organs that are affected by diabetes
- Pancreas: 1st and main organ affected by diabetes type 1 that it could not be able to produce insulin but stop………….. Do you still need it and why? Because the pancreas release some necessary fluids other than insulin so you need it and if you don't take care of it, can lead to severe pancreatitis and you will be surrounded by diseases and complications like malnutrition, cancer, breathing problem, kidney failure, and infections. So you need to take your diabetes seriously.
- Feet: most diabetics take this as a horrible nightmare having a diabetic foot. Diabetes can damage the foot but the condition does not suddenly arise, actually it takes time. If you don't care for your diabetes, the same diabetes would do to your feet. It can damage if your glycemic level remains too high for a long time.
- Kidneys: you have to need to take care of your kidneys because the drugs you take can damage kidneys and leads to kidney failure, drugs can reduce blood flow to the kidneys and you can suffer from severe medical conditions.
- Liver: liver is a vital organ that breakdown the food into smaller components which are then uptaken by the body or dissolved into the body, same is the case with medications as it breakdown which can irritate liver tissues and can create conditions like fatty liver, fatty fibrosis, chronic liver disease or cirrhosis which leads to liver failure and liver transplant.
- Eyes: diabetes can cause macular edema which leads to blurred vision or partial blindness.
- Brain: hyperglycemia can damage the blood vessels of the brain which leads to severe complications like brain damage.
- Effects on the whole body: diabetes can actually, you can say the main cause of several body problems like neuropathy, nephropathy, heart attack, vascular problems, and many more. You need to take it seriously.
Care you need
Now, I am going to describe to you several ways to control, care and treat your diabetes..
Help your elder ones to make their appointments with healthcare providers
Diabetes makes your loved ones weak and lazy that they can't continue their appointment with their endocrinologist, physicians, ophthalmologist, and other healthcare professionals so it is your responsibility to take them to their required medical professionals.
Go along with them
Diabetic patients are nervous and irritated by their sickness and don't want to go to their healthcare team. So you need to take care of them by helping them and going along with them to their medical professional and encouraging them that they can beat it.
Be creative in your kitchen
Diabetic patients need food that is reliving diabetic symptoms like low sugar foods. You need to make them rich in energy food with less sugar. Diabetic people should eat more vegetables and proteins, several professionals recommend low sugar and carbohydrate diet as potatoes, pasta, etc. adapt recipes with a healthier diet so your loved ones remain active and healthy.
Some important questions
What is a diabetic foot and can be treated?
Over time, long-term high sugar levels increase blood pressure leading to damaging your feet' blood vessels and dying of tissue in your feet.
Treatment of diabetic foot: there are several ways to treat diabetic foot, you can search for them and also ask your health care providers. About 50% of diabetic foot patients wear diabetic shoes made especially for diabetic patients. Wash your feet with warm water, keep them dry and remove dead skin and clean your feet every day.
What is a diabetes care center?
A center that can provide care for patients living with diabetes type or type 2.
What is a diabetes care plan?
A sheet or notepad, on which a patient with diabetes can note down his/her plans, diet, and medication schedule. Goals and methods to treat diabetes are written in it. Insulin dosage, device settings, and medicines name and timing are required to note down in it.